Monday, October 10, 2005

INTRODUCTION


Narrative:

Imaciyapi Lil Manthei. I am from the Cheyenne River Reservation in western South Dakota. I grew up on a ranch about 20 miles north of Thunder Butte. My father is Paul Manthei, and my mother is Norina Grate Manthei. I am the oldest of five children. I was not raised in a traditional way, but as I grew older I sought to learn Lakota culture. My mother’s grandfather is from the Cherokee Nation, so my blood is Cherokee, but my cante is Lakota. I have always lived on the reservation; except for when I attended college. Harold and Geraldine Condon, Valerie and Stephanie Charging Eagle, and Keeler and Frieda Condon have been my guides and mentors teaching me the Lakota way. Generosity, fortitude, courage, and spirituality are the values that guide my life. I have eight grandchildren, six adopted children, and one son.
My educational experience began in a one-room school house in Ziebach County. My first eight years of education where completed in this one-room schoolhouse. At the beginning of my freshman year in high school, my family moved to the Black Hills. This proved to be a difficult move for me. I had a hard time adjusting to my new environment. At sixteen, I was married and had my son. The need for an education, though, remained a goal in my life, and I completed my GED in 1975. My son was then two-years old.
In 1984, I began my college career at Black Hills State College (Before it became a university). I attended for three semesters and then because of family issues, I returned home. The desire, though, for an education did not disappear. In 1989, I returned to college at Dakota State University in Madison, South Dakota. While at DSU, I was involved in Rodeo Club, and I was an organizer for a Non-traditional Students Organization and also for a Native American Club. I also worked on the college paper as a reporter and advertising representative. I attended two years at DSU, and then transferred to South Dakota State University in 1991. I transferred to SDSU, because I wanted a minor in Indian Studies, and DSU did not offer classes in Native American culture. I attended SDSU until 1993, and then my desire to return to western South Dakota led me to transfer to Black Hills State University. I returned to were I had started. I graduated from Black Hills State University in December of 1995. I was the first generation in my family to receive a four year college degree. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree in Secondary Education. My major was English and my minor was American Indian Studies.
My teaching career began at Takini School on the Cheyenne River Reservation. I did my student teaching at Takini in the fall of 1995. Wendy Mendoza and Dana Brave Eagle were my cooperating teachers for my student teaching experience. I completed my student teaching in December of that year, and then was given a contract from Takini School. While at Takini, I taught 9 and 10 Composition, World Literature, American Literature, Research Writing, Speech, and Native American Literature. I was also advisor for the daily bulletin and the newsletter, advisor for the senior class and Student Council. I assisted with Rodeo Club and Native American Club.
In 1997, I accepted a position at Crow Creek Tribal Schools. While at Crow Creek, I taught Freshman Composition and Literature, World Literature, Speech, Native American Literature, Creative Writing, and Reading Skills. I was advisor for the sophomore class, and The Drumbeat (the school paper). I also assisted with Native American Club. I also was Oral Interpretation coach.
I was at Crow Creek for five years, when again my desire to return West River became overwhelming. It was time to go back home. In the spring of 2002, I applied for a position at Little Wound School and was offered a contract. I accepted. I began at Little Wound in the fall of 2002. I taught English Nine. I also accepted a position as Adjunct professor at Oglala Lakota College. I taught 083 Developmental Reading and Writing and 093 Basic Reading and Writing. In January of 2003, I applied for the Graduate Program at Oglala Lakota College and took classes towards a Lakota Leadership and Management Degree with Education Emphasis. . I applied and was accepted to the consortium for the Masters Degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I completed the program in July 2005 with Master of Arts. I currently am Elementary computers/technology consultant at Wagner Community School , and adjunct professor at Kilian Community College . I teach Native American History and Culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home